Subject: Re: Win... But try to collect
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 19:42:05 -0500

RME3D wrote:
"In New York, or more specifically Long Island..we have a great 'small
claims' court system :)))  You would win your case...BUT TRY AND COLLECT!!!!
 That's right... for what it's worth... 
I worked for someone who won two (not one... TWO separate) court cases, but
the way the system works, their is no enforcement on collecting!!!  So he won
two cases and didn't collect a dime!!!

I am not familiar with New York's "Rules Of Court and Civil Procedure",
BUT....in most states, and probably even New York, if you end-up going to
court and winning a judgement, there are a number of ways to collect on that
judgement.  Garnishing checking accounts is one way, attaching assets is
another.  An hour at the library should tell you exactly how to collect on a
judgement, and you can do that Pro Se as well.  You CAN make life really
miserable for that thief.  However, there are a few situations where you
truly cannot collect on a judgement, like in some cases of bankruptcy, or if
you are dealing with a real losers that doesn't have anything to collect -
and if the latter is the case, why were you giving them free trial work in
the first place?  There are a number of ways to collect on a judgement, and
you CAN make life miserable for the loser.  Judgements are reported on credit
reports, Dun & Bradstreet listings, etc.  IMHO, if they have any kind of
business at all, there will be something there that you can collect to
satisfy your judgement.  For what it's worth....just don't take it lying
down....PLEASE?